Flood in Nigeria
Flood in Nigeria (#NigeriaFloods) has raised so many controversies on the source of water that is causing it. Many have attributed the source of flood water in Nigeria to the overflow from Lagdo Dam in Cameroon, but in reality there are multiple sources of water that can cause flooding. Amongst all the sources, high rainfall and climate change has contributed the most to the flooding that Nigeria is experiencing at the moment. The last time Nigeria experienced this much flooding was in 2012, now in 2022 (10 years later) we have something worst, who knows what will happen in 2032.
Flood water sources may arise from multiple sources
- Heavy Rains (300 mm and above)
- Overflowing Rivers
- Broken Dams
- Urban Drainage Basins
- Storm Surges and Tsunamis
- Channels with Steep Sides
- A Lack of Vegetation
- Melting Snow and Ice
Map of Flooded Locations in Nigeria
*Bookmark and always visit this page for updated map and data.
Effects of Flooding in Nigeria
Flooding has so many negative socioeconomic side effects some of which may include
- Loss of lives, properties and livelihoods
- Health hazards like spread of Cholera, Malaria, Typhoid, Malnutrition
- Limited access social amenities for health, education, roads
- Damaged several residential and public structures such as schools.
- Reduction in productivity and increase poverty
- Loss of agricultural land, products and decreased food supply
- Increased crime, social inequity and even social unrest
- Reptiles, such as snakes and crocodiles, invading communities
Flood Prone Hotspots Predictions for Nigeria
Places Associated or Affected by Flooding in Nigeria
Lagdo Dam Cameroon, Dasin Hausa Dam, Adamawa, Mambila Plateau Taraba, Taraba, Jos, Plateau Hills, Plateau, Jigawa, Yobe, Borno, Nassarawa, Kogi, Benue, Delta, Bayelsa, Imo, Rivers, Cross Rivers, Anambra, Kastina, Akwa-Ibom, Edo, Kebbi, Lagos, Oyo, Dadin Kowa Dam, Gombe Kiri Dam, Adamawa Tiga Dam, Kano.
- What Causes Floods? Top 8 Common Causes of Flooding
- What are the sources of flood?
- Sources of Flood Water Explained
- What are the negative social impacts of flooding?
- Google searches trends on flooding in Nigeria
- NiMet Portal
- NEMA Portal
- FLOOD SERIES: Displaced by flood, struck by hunger; life inside Jigawa IDP camps
- ACAPS Briefing Note – Nigeria: Country-wide flooding (21 October 2022)
- Over 200 communities displaced, six feared dead as flood ravages Rivers, Delta
- Benue flood kills 24, sacks 127 communities, displaces 134,797 — Ortom
- 10 LGAs prone to flood in Cross River – NEMA
- Flood displaces 1,220 families, destroys 4,501 farms in Cross River
Top Searches from Nigeria Related to Floods
- Flood in nigeria
- Flood in nigeria 2022
- Flooding in nigeria today
- Cameroon dam
- Flood in lokoja
- Cause of floods in nigeria 2022
- Lagdo dam
- What causes floods in nigeria
- Cameroon dam causing flood in nigeria